Monday, May 20, 2013

The Saga Begins

This is not an easy blog for me to start, and I am hoping like too many other things in my life I don't give it up when it it gets to hard, or unsuccessful, or not fun any more. Because I am hoping this blog will be more than a place to rattle off my weekend plans and tell you how cute my daughter is. Mostly because I don't plan on doing either of those. Not that they won't be mentioned its just not what I am aiming for. I am hoping for this to be a new beginning. I am feeling the need to better my self, in many ways. But I really want to dedicate this blog to what I feel is currently effecting my life the most my health.

September of 2005 I lost my big sister Julie. She died while in labor with her first child she didn't know that she had severe gallstones and her gall bladder ruptured we lost her and her baby. My sister suffered from a life long battle with Hoshimoto's Disease. Which is an autoimmune disease in which the thyroid gland is attacked by a variety of cell- and antibody-mediated immune processes. Which is a fancy way of saying you feel like crap most of the time.

OK so why am I telling you this. I have struggled with my weight my entire life I remember growing up being quite tall and weighing more than most of my friends and I was always told "well your taller than they are" and I was just fine with that. Then one day I was talking with some friends in the 6th grade and one girls mentioned she had seen someone from our class the year before that had changed schools. Someone asks how she was doing and this 6th grade Mean Girl reply's "She's getting really FAT". Me trying to be the nice sweet girl said "Oh that's too bad".  I was then attacked with how dare I say anything and be so rude because -I- am so FAT. (Manipulative little bitch am I right?) I had no idea. I was always told I was beautiful by the people who loved me and the people who didn't love me well they were just mean. But this was my friend, so I thought. I didn't know that I wasn't skinny and beautiful.


Skip ahead to the worst 4 years of a persons life, High School. I got my first boyfriend who let me know if I would just loose some weight I would be really pretty. Not really knowing how to do that healthfully and being to embarrassed to ask for help I just decided to stop eating. I lost quite a bit of weight and developed hypoglycemia. I found the fact that I could go an entire school day, play rehearsal and part time job shift with out eating anything and be able to function with brain bleeding headaches strangely empowering. In a way I was proud of my self. Then he dumped me because he discovered he was gay. (I am pretty sure he wanted me to look like a boy)


Shall we jump a few more years to when I moved to Chicago. I was so proud of my self. I moved out of my parents house I had a steady acting job. I walked every where I went because I didn't have a car and the show I was in required me to dance for several hours 6 shows a week. I ate what ever I wanted when ever I wanted. The weight was falling off me and I wasn't even trying. Then I went to the DR. because my hypoglycemia seemed to be getting worse and I was having trouble swallowing. They did some Blood tests and told me I was fine.


I graduated to going on tour. I traveled in a tour vehicle and ate at restaurants. (big portion high calories) Although my weight didn't balloon out of control I did gain a few pounds. But that difficulty swallowing was getting worse. I went to the Dr and she had sonogram done of my Thyroid gland. She said it was enlarged but not bad enough to do anything about it.

Long story short: I got married to a wonderful man who loves me and tells me I am beautiful no matter what I look like and I had a beautiful baby. 

In 2011 I was so tired of being told that my blood test are normal and my fatigue, high blood pressure and weight gain was just a part of getting older. And by the way "NO- REALLY- I CAN'T SWALLOW!!!" Finally I saw an endocrinologist and told her my medical history. She was LIVID by the lack of care my former Dr's gave me. Gave my Thyroid gland another sonogram nearly 8 years later. Found that I had 5 calcified polyps the size of Mandarin oranges growing on my Thyroid gland that was not only making it difficult to swallow but was squeezing my wind pipe. I was was slowly choking to death. My only choice was to have my Thyroid removed completely.    

After my surgery it seemed like the beginning of the end. I felt like a vegetable. For months at a time I wondered if I was ever going to be able to get out of bed again. I had a panic attack in the middle of a grocery store because suddenly I had no idea where I was. A couple of times I would drive places and forget how to get home. Also my metabolism dropped to the floor. My medication started to regulate after a while. But one thing that I couldn't seem to do anything about was my fatigue and my weight gain. The Dr put me on an appetite suppressant that skyrocketed my blood pressure.

I would sleep all night and still want a nap all day long. According to my blood tests it wasn't my Thyroid levels. I was told "Exercise you'll get more energy" it did't work. I would wake up exercise and want to go back to sleep. So my Dr. suggested a sleep study.

 After what seemed to be the worst night sleep of my entire life the study concluded that I have Sleep Apnea. Evidently when my thyroid was removed it adjusted the positioning of my throat and when I go to sleep at night my tongue falls into my wind pipe and I stop breathing. Although it feels like I am sleeping all night long, I am continually waking up to catch my breath. I am currently functioning daily with (or non-functioning) with sleep deprivation. The most difficult thing for me is that Sleep Apnea increases weight gain, and weight gain increases Sleep Apnea.

So here I am. A thyroid disordered, high blood pressured, deeply depressed (yes diagnosed), Sleep Apnea'd obese 36 year old Wife and Mother. Who has decided something has to change.

Which is why we are here. I am calling this My Baby Steps life simply because I know there is no way I can do this all at once. I need to take this one step at a time. The idea of eating all the right things at the right time and knowing all the exercises to do how and when all at once is so overwhelming to me, that I am pretty sure I would give up pretty quickly. 

You may ask why I am doing this publicly? Because I don't think i can do this alone. I need support, encouragement and maybe even a little advice. When I fall down into a crying fit and tell everybody that its to hard and I can't do this anymore. I need someone to tell me that I can. When I have a bad day and bury my face in gallon of ice cream, some one needs to tell me I can pull it together and start again.   

So my goal is to blog once a week about the goal that I set the week before. Hopefully those goals will all add up to one healthy ME. 

10 comments:

  1. Heather! You can totally do it! My health is why I started researching what is in our food! It sounds crazy but there's a lot of things that we are by aware about! As soon as I changed my diet guess what! Diabetes is gone! I ate 2 slices if pizza this weekend and afterwards my blood sugar was 101, I was ecstatic! I feel so good all the time. Your depression may be a lack of vitamin D and I don't mean that you should get that from milk. My story is a long one and I'm always expanding my research and knowledge. I am here to cheer you on! You can so do this! And yes it takes baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much I would love to know what you used for research

      Delete
    2. Heather, so sorry for the late reply! I just saw this! I have a blog of my own lol and it tells a story. Mainly high blood sugar problems and psoriasis. I started researching what is in soy milk? Is soy milk safe? My daughter kept getting sick and sick and Loyda told me soy milk has lots of estrogen or some fancy word. So I came to find out about genetically modified organisms GMOs. It's in our food, makes us sick when we have a lot of it. Please look at something in your fridge or pantry read the ingredients and look them up.

      Delete
  2. One day at a time! That's how I fought the beast. Got about 80 excess pounds off three years ago and have FOUGHT every day to keep them off. YOU CAN DO IT! It is about quality of life and enjoying all that is before you. ABUNDANT life. GO GET IT! You deserve it, and it is there for the taking. I am here to support you and will be happy to share my story sometime if you are interested!!!!!
    The battle is in the mind. And you are right. Support is critical. Find some online friends (in addition to your real friends) who are taking the same journey. It is VERY helpful! I believe in you. Go, go, go!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have been on a roller coaster, but thank goodness you found a Dr. who was willing to seriously help you! Good look on your journey, your health will thank you for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do it Heather!! I just started my own health revolution to lose the 40lbs i gained over the last year from stress-eating. It's amazing how much just eating non-processed foods and not eating after 7pm can help. I hate the 7pm rule especially because i love my yummy popcorn but my energy level during the day is better and the pounds are coming off. All my mom, sisters and i have had various thyroid problems and it sucks! I'm so sorry you're dealing with that too. Let's be health support buddies, :) call me! Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to call you but I need your number

      Delete
  5. Aw, Girlie, I am SO PROUD of you for doing anything at all! Honest and truly, it isn't that you don't have an option, it is that you are taking the option to push through. And that is called Courage, btw. I'm not sure how long you have been getting treatmentfor sleep apnea, but I can tell you that it changes your life. My dad burnt out his pancreas (carb loader) and the doctors put him on insulin. Barely affected his blood sugar scores. Plus, he couldn't drop any weight. Finally, he had a sleep study, discovered his throat was collapsing (mine does too, though not to the same degree). Since he has been treated for the past two years, his depression is gone, his knees and back are no longer causing constant pain, and he gets to play with his grandkids. Amazing what regular intake of oxygen can do for you! You ARE a beautiful lady, and your daughter is going to see how strong you are as well. <3 you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does he sleep with a mask on? Because they put a mask on me in my sleep study and I freaked out and had a claustrophobic panic attack in my sleep. I am working on getting a night guard to hold my tongue in place.

      Delete
  6. you can do it - we love you and are here to help you any way we can.

    ReplyDelete